● Foster collaboration and teamwork.
● Enhance critical thinking and decision-making abilities.
● Gain an understanding of the importance of utilizing local resources in emergency situations.
● Explore strategies for supporting and integrating displaced populations.
● Participants will develop practical action plans that utilize the available resources and infrastructure of their village to support incoming residents during a natural disaster.
● Increased awareness and understanding of the role of local resources in building resilience and providing support to neighbouring communities in times of crisis.
● Enhanced collaboration and teamwork skills as participants work together to integrat
1. To start, the facilitator goes over the situation with the participants and tells them that a nearby village has experienced a terrible natural disaster and that its residents are now fleeing to the participants' village (“Our Village”) as a last resort. The facilitator emphasizes the importance of utilizing the existing resources and infrastructure of their village to support the incoming population effectively.
2. The facilitator engages the participants in a discussion about the resources, infrastructure, and services available in their village. Some questions, see notes, should be asked to guide the participants.
3. The facilitator divides participants into small groups or pairs and informs each group to brainstorm and discuss specific action plans that utilize the available resources and infrastructure of the village by encouraging them to consider aspects such as housing, infrastructure adaptation, essential services provision, and social support.
4. The facilitator provides each group with sticky notes and markers and instructs them to place the sticky notes on the map of the village created during the activity called “Our Village”. Each sticky note should represent a specific action or initiative that can be undertaken to support the incoming residents. They can write a brief description or use symbols on the sticky notes to represent their ideas.5. By allocating time for each group to present their action plan, the facilitator encourages them to explain the sticky notes they placed on the map. The facilitator should allow for questions and feedback from other participants.
6. The facilitator facilitates a group discussion to identify commonalities and synergies between the proposed action plans by asking questions, see notes. Encouraging participants to find ways to integrate the different ideas and create a comprehensive response plan that utilizes the resources and infrastructure of the village effectively is the objective of this step. Participants are then invited to discuss potential challenges and obstacles and brainstorm strategies to overcome them.
7. Reflection and discussion time… The facilitator engages the participants in a reflective discussion using questions, see notes.